Saturday, March 21, 2009

Heartfelt Thanks!

Hello everyone!! I want to first take this opportunity to thank all of you for all your prayers, they have kept me up and supported us through all of this! My daily rosary is for all who are praying and helping us in any way.


Well, this is the shoe that I was wearing at the time of the accident, and this is the shoe that I had for 8 years and this is the shoe that went in the garbage the other day!


No more heels of any kind for me. Ever.


Here's the story:


On Friday afternoon, we drove to pick up some greeting cards (a love card for my hubby and a b-day for my father-in-law) that the cashier had forgotten to put in our bags earlier in the day. The girls wanted to ride the "penny pony" several times, and we had time, so I let them. On the way home, it was just so beautiful and sunny (I think close to 40 that day) that I decided to drive around the neighborhood to look for any snowmen, we did find a couple. Then I looked at the gas tank and thought, it would be better to get gas right now, instead of later that night on the way to a homeschool play we'd planned on going to. So, again, since it was beautiful out, as I was getting gas, I was washing windows, all 4 kiddos in the van. When I got to the back windows, I stepped up onto the pump step (the pumps are about a foot up on a cement step ) and over the gas hoses. Well, I guess I should say I attempted to do that. I tripped on the hose and fell on my right shoe that twisted and my ankle bone popped out and my leg broke in 3 places just above the ankle. I kind of fell to my butt, I guess, I know I was on the ground sitting. I looked at my shoe, it looked kind of funny and I looked at it and moved it, and it was just hanging funny and all in the same moment, I realized that my foot was in the shoe and that was my bone sticking out of my sock. (it did not break the skin, thank goodness!) I laid back in the melting snow and water and mud, so as not to pass out. I then, yelled for help, and my kiddos came to my rescue, they got my purse and I tried to call, first my husband, 911 and several others, all of which I could not reach!!! I am not cell phone savvy, so, I had to mostly go by memory of people to call to come and help! I honestly can say I did not feel any pain or anything until in the ambulance when they asked me where my pain level was. I just could not move my leg at all.


I looked around, and still no one could see me, so I yelled again for help and the kiddos came out again, I asked Jedi to go into the store to get help for mama. He did and proceeded to wait in line once he got in! (cute, huh? He was scared and did not know what to do!) After what seemed like way too long, I sent in Ballerina Rosie with instructions to first find her brother and then tell someone it's an emergency her mom needs help!! That worked and they were right out, the store manager called 911 and gave me his coat, as I was teethchattering freezing laying in the water. I tried my husband 4 times, his cell was off!


After the ambulance came, and prepared me to be moved, they finally said, if no one can be reached they would have to call the Police and they would have to take the children. The children were with the Firemen, who were entertaining them, giving them stuffed Beanie Babies and tours of the firetruck. (they were great!!) I think it was one of the firemen that was trying to call my husband and my parents and anyone I could think of to come and get the kiddos! I told the kids to pray to their angels to get daddy to check his phone fast! As soon as they got me in the ambulance, he called!!! He came and got the kids. Poor Babycakes, who was in her carseat for the whole thing, saw nothing, except nice fireman and the kids going in and out. She yelled at daddy when he got in the van "No, mommy drive home, no daddy! Where mommy?"


After Tom got home with the kiddos, he finally got ahold of our wonderful neighbor, Jeanne, and she came over and fed the kids and later put them to bed. He did not get home until after midnight.


They operated on me right away, giving me a Spinal, which was the safest for the baby. I now have 8 screws, 2 rods, a cable and some kind of bolt holding all my bones together! I cannot put any weight on my right leg for 6 weeks. I have crutches and a wheelchair. Stairs are a killer, so I only go up once for bed. Yep, right leg, so no driving for this chick for probably 2 months at least!


We are so blessed. It could have been so tragic. I could have lost the baby. This is also temporary. So many things happen to people and it is permanent.


A lot of people ask (which I find a funny question, one of those "DUH" questions) if it hurts. Well, let's see, no pain meds, 2 incisions a few inches long on each side of my leg, and broken bones, uh, yes, it hurts. It is getting better each day though. And I look at it as an opportunity to offer more up to our Lord and hopefully grow closer to Him.


My hardest thing is elevating my feet 4 times a day for 30 minutes. I think I've managed to do it twice a day. I am also supposed to be up and down, keeping the blood flowing, to help prevent blood clots. I know one thing for sure, I will have very toned arms and shoulders from the crutches and a very toned left butt cheek and leg when this is all done, but also one very flabby and hairy leg after the cast is removed!!!


"Mary" my 4 year old has had the hardest time with all this change. She refused Grandma's bath the other day not wanting different people giving her a bath. (we are only having the grandma's give them baths) She only wants mama to do it and she wants mama back the way she used to be. It's been hard on all of them though, always having people here to help. They need privacy and quiet time too. I need someone here each day though to help me with Babycakes and just all the little things.


It is humbling to say the least. I am a perfectionist and don't like to ask for help and God has put me in a position where I have no other choice but to ask for help and accept it. Large slice of humble pie I've been given. I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of people offering to bring meals and help in any way they can.


Our book club is reading the book called "Holiness for Housewives". I am not sure of the author and it will literally take me 10 minutes to hobble to get the book and hobble back so, that's the name anyway! Well, we read the first chapter last Thursday and discussed it together. It was about our vocation as mothers and how it is what is bringing us closer to God, it is our way to holiness. All those little things we do, are opportunities to praise God and unite ourselves with Him. Well, it is one thing to read it and try to think of it when feeling burdened by the countless tasks we do as mothers, but it is another thing to have the ability to do those things taken away. I truly can say I cannot wait to sweep my own floor and pick up those things laying around, the clutter, the toothepaste on the sink, flush the toilets, straighten the hand towels as I walk by, push chairs in, wipe the table and the counters, give baths and all those other things we do as mothers, I will think of all of those things as blessings and gifts to be able to serve my family in that way. To serve God in that way.


My husband has taken over taking care of me and the children and doing errands and anything that needs to be done, he has been wonderful, I am so blessed to have such a wonderful man.


Thank you again for all of your prayers and well wishes, it truly is a gift to call you all my friends. My prayers are for you in return. May God Bless all of you!

21 comments:

  1. Jamie, I have been checking in here to see how you are doing. I wish, so badly, that I lived closer so I could come help you with the kids. I'm glad that you do have help, and know how hard it is to have someone else in your house doing all of your chores, taking care of the kids, etc. Please know that we are praying for you and a quick and speedy recovery. What a cross this Lent, huh???? And what a story about having to sit and wait in the gas station. It always seems like we can't get ahold of the hubbys at work when we really need them. :-) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to finally hear from you! We will continue to pray for a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too wish i could be there to help. You have never been far from my mind and in my prayers.

    The phrase that keeps coming is, "it's so lent!"

    May God use what you offer to effect grace in another and thank you for your witness.

    Soooo good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, you will continue to be in my prayers! God's blessing and grace upon you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, you know you have my prayers for continued healing and the Lord to give you the grace to bear it all. You are so loved - aren't you just feelin' it????

    Good idea to go with flats from now on (tennis shoes are best - for arches). Anyway, worry about footware later.

    Many blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been praying for you, your healing, your family and your pregnancy every day. Thank you for the update, you will remain in my prayers. God bless and heal you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was cringing the entire time I read this post. I could feel the pain! I will continue to pray that God will heal you completely and quickly and that you will have the grace to bear with everything.
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jamie!! I can't even imagine how hard this must be for you... I will continue to pray for you!! {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think of you every day. I need to call soon to see how things are going. Sometimes...I worry I might be bugging you. I do not know why I worry about goofy things like that...should I call now? What if she is sleeping? What if she is reading to the kids? I do not want to bug you but want to know everyday how you are holding up.

    Thanks for sharing your story. I am so glad you have all the prayers and love coming your way from friends and family.

    Poor Mary...I will keep her and all the kids in my prayers also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a story!! Thanks for taking the time to post that. That's one you'll look back on someday!! No driving for two months!! Wow!!! We'll keep praying for you, and your family. Expect some goodies in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so glad you are doing better. i have praying for you. i gave up any kind of heels long ago for the same reason-too dangerous because i am a Klutz with a capital K.
    boy, you have had quite a lent so far, huh? and you are right, this is only temporary and thanks be to God that baby is ok!
    still praying.
    love, me

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Jamie!
    Noelle and Luke are offering up their DDS visit today for you. Luke is having 2 teeth pulled at 1 p.m. and Noelle is having a her first filling at 2 p.m. They are both very nervous! Also, Noelle has had a bad ear ache/fever/sore throat all this weekend and she told me she offered it all up for you :)
    Prayers for speedy recovery and for your total compliance to orders! :)
    Also, please pray for us up here with all the flooding. Pete's parishioners are all under water in the Wahpeton area. No one came to Mass this morning and schools are shut down. Water is in their basements and coming in through their window wells. Just praying that his churches and rectory stay dry!!
    The Red River is expected to crest on Thursday at one foot above the horrible 1997 flood. Many streets are closed and there is a massive sandbagging effort underway.
    Can't wait to see you this weekend and get a lot done!
    Love and prayers,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jamie, I am so looking forward to this weekend that it's a bright spot for me. I'm looking forward to the drive with Sarah and I'm looking forward to seeing you and giving you a hug in person. I'M COMING!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still cannot imagine. I have passed the word to other family members and friends and you are in their prayers:) May God continue to be with you. Call if you need anything:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting...Sarah and Suzie!!! I am so happy you have lots of help!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a horrible experience for you! I'm so happy you are on the mend Jamie and your children were so precious in praying for your hubby to answer the phone. They were great helpers for you during this crisis weren't they? I've been thinking of you often since hearing of your accident, and our family has included you in our prayers. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jamie, thank God, you, the children, and Baby #5 are okay! I was so worried about you and kept on checking here every day for news on you! I also am praying the rosary for you every day! You can always count on my prayers!

    May I please ask for prayers too? I will be having my second surgery on April 1st 2009, a week from today! The surgeon will remove the rest of the endometriosis and try to "optimize" conditions so we have a better chance of concieving! I have been praying a special 54 day rosary novena that everything will go well and for the grace to be a mother someday.

    Thank you so much, my sweet friend! I will be praying for you!

    Love,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  18. YIKES! Paula just told me what happened. Holysmokes, I haven't checked in with ANYONE for weeks and I can't believe this happened to you!
    Call me or write me if there's anything you need. I babyisit a couple of times a week but if you need a hand with shopping or a meal, let me know PLEASE! I know that your recovery time will be long and you might feel like you've tapped everyone out a little too much after a while. We'd love to come and visit and I am a ROCKIN cleaner of OTHER PEOPLE'S HOUSES...especially if I have someone to chat with while I flurry around cleaning!

    Oh, and that shoe there? I wouldn't exactly say that it has a HEEL, but I CAN say that I don't think anyone would argue it needs to go into the garbage can hahahahaha (sorry, I shouldn't talk. I have pretty much the ugliest shoe collection in the universe...problem of two different sizes and widths on one body)! What size do you wear so we can get you some stylin footwear for after your recovery?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I just found your blog and I will be back.
    I fell and broke my collar bone when my younger daughter was 5 months old. Can't imagine how you are holding up.
    I promise to pray for you all.
    Pax Christi, EJT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jamie,

    My story is much tamer than yours. Not being pregnant and at least one of your kids is younger than my youngest.

    I do know what you mean about doing all these little things. I wish to no longer complain about all the small stuff that I previously thought took so much time. That's a big piece of that humble pie. Everything takes a huge effort, physically, mentally (to coordinate the physcial effort).

    Oh and I have read the same book. Love that book and it might just be the perfect time for a re-read. It was a great book!

    Thanks for sharing this with me. It's nice to have read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping and commenting!