Thursday, August 14, 2008

Back to School Soon!

School will be starting soon for us and everyone in the world, I suppose. A lot of homeschoolers have already started their new year. The other day my good friend, Sarah, emailed me about their first day back. She told me about how they took pictures and measured and weighed the kids. We usually do this too. (except the weighing) But, I know if she hadn't have emailed me, I would have forgotten. My mind has been in a million different places lately. I started thinking about how I could make this day special for the kids, their first day back. I'll have to think up a special snack and lunch. Maybe we will get Papa Murphy's Pizza for lunch.
I started preschool for Mary yesterday and she loved it, so did Ballerina Rosie and Babycakes. Jedi was off somewhere reading a book. The girls are really excited for school and can't wait. Jedi, on the other hand, is not. He says he doesn't like school because he wants to play and he can't play as much when we have school. Well...sorry, that's life. This is the kid who reads Science books all the time, every week when we go to the library, he gets 23-28 Science books. Really, I think he could teach me this year.
What do you do to make the first day of school special? As homeschoolers, I feel something needs to be done to make it a little more special. A little more than a day at home with lots of new work to do! A day to celebrate the new things we will learn, the way they've grown, the new things they can do. Give me your ideas!
I'll be here counting down the 18 days left of summer!

5 comments:

  1. I was thinking about one of those questionaire thingys...

    What are you most interested in?

    Favorite book?

    Favorite movie?

    Favorite song?

    You know the kind of thing they can look back on to see how it's changed?

    Also, baking choc.chip cookies the first day of schoolw as always something my mom did and I'd like to do. How about serving that "champagne/sparkling apple cider" with a toast at dinner?

    We start back on the 9th...so I'll be checking in to see other ideas. Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually say a special prayer for a good year...for our teachers...for good friends and to walk in the Light of Christ.

    I take a lot of pictures and have a special snack at the end of the day.

    I like jmj's idea. I usually do that in their journals that I keep for them on each of their birthdays.

    Good post Jamie....it will get me thinking of some new traditions to start.

    I hope it is ok that I am not a homeschooling mom. I still feel like the only one who doesn't (in this blog world) and glad that you gals still love me if I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the chocolate chip cookie idea!!! That is so homey and good!

    Ok, I'm doing that one!

    For Mary's preschool, I video taped her answering questions like what her favorite thing to do is, etc...it was really cute and then all the kids wanted to do it...kind of like the journal thing to look back on!

    Christine, you are always welcome to join in on the conversation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always take pictures and measure & weigh the kids, too.

    I use binders to keep my kids' weekly work organized, and each binder has a front and back cover. I let them decorate the front cover with crayons or colored pencils. The back cover is for stickers earned when they do something well or to call attention to a good deed. I usually write the deed beside the sticker.

    When we lived in town, Eric would take the older kids to early morning mass & go out for breakfast. We're not sure how this will work now that we live in the country!

    I've also taped the kids reciting a poem that they've memorized during the year. Their voices change so much . . . I need to still do that for last year! Thank goodness I haven't started THIS year, yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping and commenting!