Sunday, October 17, 2010

Looking Pregnant, But NOT

I guess if Paris Hilton can take it, I can too.
Today, after dropping Ballerina Rosie off at a friend's house, I ran quick into K-Mart for a
Native American costume for her for All Saints Day. She's going to be St Kateri Tekakwitha.
I never go there. (K-Mart)
I don't think very many people go there.
I always forget about it. Poor K-Mart.
Not even sure how they are still in business.
Anyway.
I only had the one item (which is rare for me) and no kiddos with me (even rarer for me)
I went through the "fast" lane, everyone having only one item.
The older, very talkative, cashier, asked the people in front of me if they would like a "Rewards" card, explaining it's free, blah, blah, blah.
They politely say "no thanks, we don't come here very often." (see? No one shops there anymore)
Then, she gets to me.
Now, picture a happy-go-lucky Jamie Jo. I am without the kiddos, I've only got one item, I'm in a hurry and will not have to stop at any potties or stop any fights, and I've just lost 10 lbs!!!
She says to me "Would you like to sign up for a Rewards card?"
I say, politely with a smile, "no thank you."
She then says "Right, I'm sure you are just thinking you just want to get out of this store so you can hurry up and have your baby."
Taken aback a little bit, trying to absorb what she's just said to me,
I say quietly "Oh, I'm not pregnant."
I couldn't even look her in the face.
She did apologize (which is very nice of her)
I tried to recover and quickly said,
"I do have 5 kids though!" (with my smile back on)
She then says,
"Oh, well, then I'm sure you don't want any more of them!"
I say, (being offended twice now in the quick line)
"Oh, we'd love to have more!"
I walked out rather quickly with my one item purchase, got to the van,
shook my head, and started wishing I would have made the cashier feel better for insulting me, wondering if she really even felt bad for it. I quickly tell myself "jamie, she did apologize."
Then, I tear up, feeling like a big fat slob.
wondering what I actually look like to others.
Wondering if I will ever be the me that I want to be.
The me that I feel like inside.
Makes me want to go pig out on something chocolate, like brownies or cookies or something and not count any points.
Not really.
Oh, our sinful nature is so full of pride, isn't it?
I just wish women would have some common sense.
NEVER ASSUME ANY WOMAN IS PREGNANT UNLESS SHE SAYS SHE IS.
NEVER.
NEVER.
We need to lift each other up, not tear them down, even if it's by accident.
I plan to pray for this talkative, chatty cashier.
It's the only way I know how to cope.
Pray, pray, pray.
Oh, and stay away from the chocolate brownies and cookies!
I get home, cry in my husband's arms and he tells me,
"Jamie, I was just thinking today how when I look at you you are still just as beautiful as the day I met you."
I cry even more, but am feeling so very blessed now.