Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Cake!


Christine gave me this giant zucchini from her garden (she has a super garden, I want her to blog it!) I didn't feel like making zucchini bread, and it was too big to cook or cut up to have with dip, as I'm the only one who would eat it, so when Tracy blogged her recipe for chocolate zucchini bread, it was all I needed to bake it! (I love zucchini by the way, but the deer ate ours this year!)

The little girls shredded the zucchini...which was hard work, as you can see!
Isn't it pretty?
It was soooo delicious!!! I've never had chocolate zucchini cake before, but it sure became our favorite and I will make it every year now for sure! Kisteen, can we have more zucchini, pleeeeeeeese?
The kids wanted to trick daddy into eating it, because if he knew there were any type of veggies in it, he would not even try it. So when he came home last Friday, they all wanted him to have a piece of "chocolate cake", in which he was a little suspicious and told them he'd wait for dessert. Well, once they all dug in, (because it's that good) he felt safe to eat it, and once he ate his whole piece, we all started cracking up, and said "you just ate your veggies!" He admitted it was very good. Not sure there's much nutritional value in zucchini, as it's mostly water anyway, but it does take away the calories doesn't it? :)
Here's the recipe from Tracy!
½ cup butter
½ cup oil
1 ¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
½ cup sour milk (add 1 tsp. of vinegar)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
4 T cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
2 cups shredded zucchini
Topping:
½ cup chocolate chips (or more!)
¼ cups brown sugar
Add first four ingredients alternately with milk. Add all others and mix in zucchini. Spread in a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle top with chocolate chips and brown sugar. Bake at 350, 40-50 minutes. Yummy!!! Thank you Tracy!

6 comments:

  1. HELLO Jamie!!! I will blog about it soon!!

    Anyhoo...I used the exact same recipe and my kiddos will not eat it. I am so mad and sad cause it is so good. I made 2 huge pans of it.

    I will take a pic tonight of the garden and get blogging. What my friends ask I will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I cannot access Tracey's blog . . . haven't been able to in absolute ages. I mean ages! Tell her I said "hello" and I miss her blog. It's private now, yeah? I think her family is just the neatest! I miss seeing her happy and delightful children. Her crafts were fun, too!

    That cake looks delish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so welcome, Jamie! Yours looks poofier than mine - maybe I should buy new baking soda?

    My blog is not private, though I did shut down comments for a while.

    http://pinewoodcastle.typepad.com/ should get you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum-O! Can't wait to try it. My in laws have PLENTY of zucchini, so I'm sure I can get some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make this recipe, too. Since you left the skin on your zucchini, there's probably a lot more nutrition in the cake than we'd guess. So, will your husband eat a second piece???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Add just a little ice cream on top of an individual slice and mush it all together. Sooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping and commenting!