Friday, April 25, 2008

What Would You Do?

Last night in the chapel, I started thinking about my children and what we would do if something happened to me or my husband or both.

Do you ever think about that? Really every person I thought of is not me, therefore, were not good enough in some way. Not that I am the best, but I am the best for these children, my children.

What a gift we have in our motherhood. Only I understand Jedi and all his little things. Only I can comfort Ballerina Rosie or Mary after a nightmare. I am the only one who's hair Babycakes plays with and snuggles with in a special way. Only I know all the little things about each of them.

Picking someone, is something I suppose every person should do "just in case". What if no one is picked? Then what happens to my children? What if only I die, what will my husband do with 4 children? Who will watch them while he is working? I'd still want them homeschooled, how would that happen? So many questions! What a gift to enjoy the present. To enjoy this motherhood. I must be the best I can for these beautiful children, because I am what is best for these children.

I know, I know, don't think about these things! But sometimes, I can't help it. I need to tell myself, Trust in Him, Jesus, I trust in You, Jesus, I trust in You. And I trust that all will be in order if something like that were to happen.

Do you think this way sometimes?

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I think these things too. In fact, hubby & I have been talking about it a lot lately. I hope and pray that nothing happens to us till they are grown... but you really never know.

    Hubby and I have been trying to pick someone, just in case, but its SO HARD!! No one would raise our children just like we are. Who would be best for them? Who would keep them ALL TOGETHER, Homeschool and give them the best Catholic education possible?? I suppose that if we didn't have someone chosen, they would go to my parents... They would be the most likely anyways.

    Did you read Jenn's post at Family in Feast and Feria yesterday? She posted about the Importance of the Father figure. And how IMPORTANT he is in the children's lives. My hubby thinks that it was through his own dads strong devotion that 3 of his sons were called to the priesthood and ALL of his children are strong Catholics to this day. The mother can only do so much without the Father. Jennifer was comparing this to the life of Elizabeth Ann Seton. If you can, hop over and read the post... I linked to it in my shared items. It's great!

    Anyhow, I FINALLY convinced my hubby NOT to take a fire training course that would have him flying over fires this summer in helicopters :S Fires are dangerous enough without getting in a helicopter. I'm not looking forward to fire season... It always scares me.

    Anyhow, I'm rambling. Sorry! :) Let's just pray nothing happens to us till our kids are grown!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also have the same situation. Who could do what we do?

    I tell the kids that Pope John Paul II lost his mother when he was only 9. His brother also when he was young. He did have a very devotional father figure that I personally think played a very important role in his religious formation.

    Like you said we really have to trust in God. Funny thing is I kinda pray to God that if I go early He needs to watch over our children and protect them!

    Great post! I like discussion topics....gets ya thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about this very topic A LOT lately. One thing that I have realized is that no matter how much planning you do, life and circumstances change. There will never be a guarantee that what you want to happen will happen. The best we can do now is to pray we pick the right people to carry on our work, and to instill the values we want in our children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a painful subject for all parents I think. I remember when my kids were small & having to draw up a will and select guardians. It was only after prayerful thought, we decided on a couple in our church (w/their permission of course). I don't think it means your faith isn't strong enough, you just love your children & want to make sure they have the best upbringing possible. But better to do the hard thing and plan for the unexpected, than to need it, and have nothing. Nerm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melancholic me, I think about this almost daily. Keeps me from doing anything risky. I even think sometimes, that if I were dying, I would want my husband to get married before I died so I could know (or help choose!) what kind of mother my kids would have after me. Control freak too, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie -
    Yes, I have definitely thought about this! My husband and I have non-family picked as guardians for our children - they are Roman Catholic homeschoolers and have a lot in common with us - so I don't worry about that too much. I think more about what would happen if it were just one of 'us.' Would I marry again . . . would he marry again? I don't think I would, but I would want my husband to marry! As you stated, we are the best for these particular children we've been given (sometimes I wonder WHY!, but we are the best).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping and commenting!